June 26, 2020
Thank you all for your continued conservation efforts through this unprecedented time. While we were able to see a noticeable change in usage at the start of the voluntary conservation request, lack of rainfall locally, statewide drought conditions, and a definite increase in community water usage now requires us to institute mandatory water use restrictions.
Effective immediately, a Level 3 Water Use Restriction is posted for the Eastman community, in accordance with the VDE Water Use Ordinance adopted in 2010.
A Level 3 Restriction includes the following:
- Manual landscape watering by ODD-NUMBERED addresses is allowed on Mondays and Thursdays
- Manual landscape watering by EVEN-NUMBERED addresses is allowed on Tuesdays and Fridays
- Manual landscape watering shall not occur between the hours of 8AM and 7PM
- Use of automated landscape sprinkler systems is prohibited
- Washing of streets, driveways, decks, sidewalks or other impervious areas is prohibited
- Pressure-washing is prohibited
- Washing of cars or boats at a non-commercial facility is prohibited
- Filling of swimming pools and/or hot tubs is prohibited
- Watering by hand any crops used for food is allowed
- Water to sustain animal life is allowed
- Washing of boats entering Eastman at ECA boat wash is allowed
In accordance with RSA 38:26(II), persons failing to comply with the restrictions imposed under the Water Use Ordinance shall be subject to a fine and/or civil penalties, not to exceed $10,000 per day of such violation. Recovered penalties shall be used at the discretion of the Village District of Eastman. In addition to the penalty tier given below, the VDE is authorized to discontinue the furnishing of water where orders and restrictions have been violated. Such discontinuance shall be made pursuant to RSA 38:31 and may be continued as long as there is evidence that the violations will continue.
- First violation: warning by written notice mailed or left at the address of the customer, explaining the fine and penalty structure
- Second violation: $250.00 fine
- Third violation: $500.00 fine and suspension of water service. A reactivation fee of $75.00 will be charged before service is restored.
While we do not have an estimated length of time for this restriction to be in effect, it is our hope that additional voluntary conservation measures continue to aid in the preservation of our water supply.
Commissioners, Village District of Eastman
New Hampshire Drought Monitor: